Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blog Post #5

beach scene

1. Don't Teach your Kids this Stuff. Please?   by Scott McLeod


     This blog  made me reflect on my attitude about technology in the classroom.  His sarcasm succeeded in making me think to myself," Wake up. Stop resisting technology." An analogy came to mind as soon as I finished reading the post.
     That is, would a teacher(me) take her students to the beach and not let them in the water for fear of jellyfish or sharks? Everyday? Sometimes? Technology is like a vast ocean that children want to enjoy and explore.  Would you let them in the water or turn them back? They want to get in the water. In fact, they have already been in the water. With common sense safety precautions, technology, just like the beach, can be enjoyed and enhance educational experiences.
Scott McLeod is a professor at the University of Kentucky.  He is in charge of the only center in America dedicated to technology needs in schools. I am fortunate to be commenting on his blog Dangerously Irrelevant in my C4T assignment. He also has a blog called Mind Dump.
ischool logo

2. Travis Allen  and  Zeitgeist


     Travis Allen says that the school system is broken and needs to be fixed.  Where does technology fit when repairing the system?
      Travis Allen talks about his vision of an ischool and exposes how so many things are available right now for students. He wants to change the face of education.
       Travis Allen has a grand vision, bordering on the grandiose. I think he is over doing it a bit.  Technology is not the answer to our educational system failures. It is definitely one part that can enhance and improve the system.
        Do you know what means? In my study of the German language I recognized this word as meaning a "spirit of the times".  That is, zeit means" time" and geist means" ghost". Travis Allen is definitely someone with the spirit of our times, in terms of our digital world. This video reminds me that  the educational system must take time to rethink, rebuild, and retool to better prepare students for the digital world. Students are already a part of a world that is connected through technology. Do you want to take them back in time?

3. Virtual Choir
virtual choir of screens     This was a very cool video to watch. It has 185 people from around the world "coming together" through technology for a common purpose--to sing a beautiful song.  That took some planning! The planning was most definitely made easier by technology. I enjoyed the video very much.

4. Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts
     This video reminds me how readily available information is to people with the click of a button. Someone can find the answer to a question very easily, whenever necessary. My children use "ASK" all the time on the computer and have asked some really great questions. Do children today even know what an encyclopedia is anymore? I don't think so.
     Three words will remain with me from this video. To achieve learning, the lesson must be relevant, challenging, and engaging. That is, with or without technology, those three things will always be very important.
     I want to teach my students relevant material. I want to challenge them.  I want to engage them. I will do this to the best of my ability. How will I decide what is relevant, challenging, and engaging? My students will have an opportunity to tell me and I will use my teacher knowledge. I'm sure technology will be a part of my classroom.

4 comments:

  1. McLeod: You got the sarcasm. Many students didn't and interpreted McLeod's post literally. Excellent commentary.

    You have had a lot of experience with Dr. McLeod recently. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Reading your post was delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia,
    As always, you manage to make your post interesting! Great job thinking critically and relating to the post.
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I really liked your analogy of how technology is like a beach. I never thought of technology being like the beach. I also agree with you that the Virtual Choir was amazing! Your posts are very well informed and I enjoyed reading them!

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete